Friday, July 22, 2016

Quick and Easy Breakfast: Oatmeal with Berries

Good morning!  Today I decided to make oatmeal.  I find that when I'm especially hungry, oatmeal is a good thing to have because it fills me up.  This recipe also has protein powder and blueberries so I get my serving of everything I need to start the day right in one bowl.  I have been making this recipe for years, as it came with the Insanity workout program.  The nutrition guide is full of recipes for every meal (again, back when programs actually included useful recipes)!  Here we go!

Oatmeal with Berries
1 serving
I'll work on the presentation, I promise.
 Ingredients
1/2 c quick cook oats
1 1/2 T walnuts, chopped
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1/2 c blueberries
1/4 c milk (optional)

Bring 1 c of water to a boil and add oats.  Return to boil and lower to medium-high heat.  Cook, stirring frequently, until most of the water is gone.  Pour oatmeal into a bowl and top with protein powder, blueberries, and walnuts.  If desired, add milk.  Enjoy!

If you want to prep ahead of time:
-measure out dry oats and keep in a container to cook in the morning.  You can also pre-cook the oats the night before, but I found that it gets kind of gluey in the microwave when reheating.
-measure blueberries and wash
-measure walnuts and protein powder and store together in airtight container 

Some notes:
*Milk is totally optional here, it's just used to add some liquid to the oats and cook them down.  You can use any kind of milk that you like. 
*Make sure you're buying raw, unsalted nuts.
*Remember, if you're using the portion fix meal plan, measure your oats cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment