Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Quick and Easy Dinner: Lemon Ginger Pork with Brussels Sprouts

I may have said this previously, but I didn't eat Brussels sprouts growing up as a kid.  It's not that I didn't like them, I just had never tasted them.  I ate just about every other vegetable:  asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower...and I loved them all.  When I was an adult (just a few years ago, actually) I tried Brussels sprouts for the first time and I love them, too!  Come to find out, my mom does also, so I have no idea why she never gave them to me when I was growing up.  Anyway, the point of that story is Brussels sprouts are delicious and you should try them.  This recipe cooks them very simple with salt and pepper.  Annnnnnd I also had no idea they were BrusselS sprouts (with an 's' at the end) until, um, about 3 months ago.  Learn something new everyday...

Lemon Ginger Pork with Brussels Sprouts
2 servings
Yes, this is a winter plate.  In the middle of summer.
Ingredients
8 oz. pork tenderloin
1/4 c onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 T olive oil
2 T soy sauce
2 T lemon juice
1 t lemon zest
2 t ginger, minced
2 c Brussels sprouts, cut in half
salt and pepper

Put the onion, garlic, olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice and zest, ginger, and pork tenderloin in a bag and allow it to marinate for 30 minutes to an hour.  Pre-heat oven to 375°.  Over a medium-high heat, heat a non-stick, oven-safe skillet and add pork to sear on both sides.  Arrange Brussels sprouts on a baking sheet, spray with non-stick cooking spray, and season with sea salt and pepper to taste.  Put pork, in the skillet, and the Brussels sprouts into the oven.  Cook for about 20-25 minutes, until pork is done and Brussels sprouts are soft.

1 comment: