Saturday, July 23, 2016

Quick and Easy Dinner: Tacos

I love Mexican food but, as we all know, it's not exactly the best for the waistline.  That's where Autumn's Mexican taco meat comes in.  I wanted to share this recipe with you because it is from her cookbook Fixate, which includes over 100 recipes for delicious, healthy recipes.  If you'd like to know more about the cookbook, check out my review here:  Fixate Cookbook Review!

Mexican Taco Meat
4 servings

Ingredients
1 t olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 lb ground turkey
1 t dried Mexican oregano
1 t chili powder
dash salt
1 1/2 cups Grandma's tomato sauce (recipe in Fixate)
3 T tomato paste

Add olive oil to non-stick pan and heat over medium-high heat.  Add onion and jalapeños and cook for about 4 minutes, until onions begin to get soft.  Add garlic and cook for just about a minute.  Remove mixture from pan and add turkey meat.  Cook until no longer pink, about 8 minutes.  Add spices, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and onion mixture to pan.  Simmer for about 10 minutes to bring flavors together and cook out most of the liquid.

  • That's it!  Autumn offers several suggestions for how to serve the taco meat, but I prefer to put 1/4 of the meat mixture on a whole-wheat flour tortilla, top with 1 T salsa and some shredded lettuce.  I also added a vegetable and yes, I served it with a margarita!
  • You don't have to use the jalapenos, but since they are seeded and cooked, they do not make the dish that spicy, but rather add flavor.
  • Instead of ground turkey (93% lean or higher), you could use ground beef.
  • You can use oregano in place of Mexican oregano.  I found it at a specialty grocery store, but I don't notice much difference in the taste with all the other flavors in there.
  • I cheat a bit on the homemade sauce (because I am l-to the-a-to the-z-to the y).  Instead I use Prego Light Smart Traditional sauce.
  • You can make a margarita very easily using tequila, lime and orange juice, and agave, but I chose to use a pre-made mix and tequila.  You can find it here:  Skinny Margarita Mixes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment