Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Quick and Easy Breakfast: Lox and a Bagel

I love salmon!  It is especially delicious when it is accompanied by cream cheese and a bagel.  Now, a lot of nutrition experts say that you shouldn't eat bagels because they are so high in carbs, blah, blah, blah.  I an NOT an expert, so don't go by why I say, but I say EAT THE BAGEL.  Someone who grew up eating bagels and whose entire family is from New York could never not eat a bagel.  I don't even know if this is considered a real bagel since it's whole wheat, but I digress.  I also don't know if this could be considered a real recipe as it is literally 3 things put together, but, hey, let's give it a whirl anyway.

Lox on a Bagel
1 serving
2 oz. lox
1 T light or whipped cream cheese
1/2 whole wheat bagel
tomato slices, to taste
 1 c cantaloupe (or other fruit)
 
Toast the bagel 1/2 to desired doneness.  Top with cream cheese, tomato (if desired), and lox.  Serve with a side of fruit.
 
There you have it!  Doesn't get much easier than that!
 
  • Make sure when you're buying lox that you look for smoked salmon or lox that is not soaked in oil. It should either be in a container prepared by your local grocery story or in pre-packaged in the seafood section.
  • I usually don't use a tablespoon of cream cheese.  I've never been a big fan of it, so I just do a light spread.  You can use up to a tablespoon.
  • I buy either Thomas' 100% whole wheat bagels or, now that I have a Publix in town (!!!!! I love Publix!), I buy the ones from their bakery.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment