Saturday, July 30, 2016

Why I work out at home...and why I love it!

I have been doing at-home fitness programs for years, and I love them!  For me, it is the easiest way for me to get healthy and fit.  Today, I want to talk a little bit about why I workout at home, the benefits, and why it may be the right choice for you.

No way I'd be doing (or wearing) this in public.




Why I started working out at home:

This is really a long story, most of which you have absolutely no interest in, so I'll cut to the chase.  I tried going to the gym and it just wasn't for me.  Too many machines, too many people, no clue what to do.  I would go and dawdle around for an hour, pretend to do something, and leave.  Once I found and tried DVDs that I could work out to at home, I knew I had found what I was looking for.

When I first started working out at home, I had nothing--no weights, no bench, no resistance bands--just myself and my DVD player.  With Insanity, that's all I needed!  Over the years I have accumulated a lot of equipment, but that has come with time and I buy it because I want to try new things, not because I need it to complete a program.  Most of the programs I have require just weights or a band.

After Insanity, I picked up a bunch of random workout DVDs, which I would lay out, divide into categories, and make my own workout schedule.  It was time-consuming, and there was really no rhyme or reason, I was just putting them together based on what I thought worked and my knowledge, which was minimal!  I decided I needed to go back to a program so I could stay on track and see some real results.

Why I continue to use at-home work out programs:
There are so many reasons!  I love the convenience of working out in my house.  I don't have to drive anywhere or see anyone.  I can look however I want (and most of the times, I look a hot mess).

There is a calendar provided with each workout program.  That way, I always know what workout to do on what day.  These calendars have been put together by professionals who know what they're doing (not me, who just guesses) and are put in an order to give the best results.

I have access to trainers who have been putting together routines and programs for years and have helped thousands get amazing results. 

A nutrition plan and recipe book is included with every program.  Even if you aren't interested in using the specific eating plan that comes with the program, you can use the guide to gain knowledge about food groups, track your eating, and make delicious meals.
  
I never get bored because I have several programs that I can switch up.  Even if you just have one program, you can challenge yourself by going to the next level.  Plus, you can incorporate programs into another activities you're already doing, such as running, swimming, or sports.

Have you thought about working out at home, but...
In talking to people about their health and fitness goals, there are some common reasons why people are hesitant to try an at-home fitness program.

I don't have enough time to work out.  There are many programs that are 30 minutes or less.  You don't need to spend hours doing fitness to see results.  One of the most popular at-home programs is 21 Day Fix which works multiple body parts at once to give you results faster.  Also available are 21 Day Fix Extreme, the follow up to Fix; Insanity Max: 30, a 30-minute version of Insanity where you are invited to "max out" (take breaks when needed); Focus T25, a fast-paced cardio and strength workout; 22 Minute Hard Corps, a military-training based workout; and P90X3, a 30-minute version of the ever-popular P90X.

I don't have the equipment I'll need.  Yes, there are several programs that require equipment, but typically all you'll need is dumbbells.  You can always substitute equipment that you do have for what you need (a ball for a bench, a resistance band for a chin-up bar).  Even if you have no equipment at all, there are several programs you can do with just your own body weight!  Insanity, my all time favorite workout, requires nothing extra.  Other workouts that require no equipment are Insanity Max: 30; PiYo, a mixture of yoga and Pilates; and Cize, a dance-based workout.  Many other workouts only require dumbbells or a resistance band.
 
Pretty much all you need for most programs.

I don't have the space to workout at home.  Yes, you do!  I promise, most of the programs require very little space.  As long as you can take a few steps to each side, you have enough room.  In the words of my husband, a P90X graduate, "If I can work out in the bedroom of my apartment, anyone can do it."
 
I'll get bored doing workouts at home.  As I said before, the calendars for these programs are put together by professionals, so the order of the workouts gives you the best results and helps to keep you from getting bored.  Programs like P90X, The Master's Hammer and Chisel and TurboFire come with over 10 workouts in the base program!  In addition to the variety in the base workout programs, you can get additional deluxe DVDs, which offer more routines for added variety.  Focus T25, for example, includes 4 additional workouts that you can add on as a third month to the program or use to add further variety to your regular calendar.

I won't be able to do these workouts.  Although some of the programs are for advanced exercisers, there are many programs that are for people at the beginner or intermediate level.  Plus, there is typically a modifier, who does low-impact moves.  Some workouts, such as PiYo and Country Heat, a 30-minute, danced-based program that was just released, are specifically made with low-impact moves but the intensity remains high, so you still get a great workout!

I'm not interested in any of these workouts.  That may be true...but do you really know about the variety of the programs?  There are programs for yoga (PiYo), muscle-building (Body Beast, Hammer and Chisel), dance (Cize and Country Heat), and athletic conditioning (Asylum:  Vol. 1 and 2).   Plus, there are always new programs being released, such as Core de Force, an MMA-style workout that requires NO equipment, which is coming soon.  There is something for everyone!

I already work out but need help with nutrition.  Nutrition is a huge part of being healthy!  Portion control is made easy with color-coded containers and the Portion Fix meal plan.  You'll never get bored with a cookbook filled with delicious, easy to make, healthy recipes.  If you are looking for a high-protein boost of nutrition, Shakeology may be right for you.  There are lots of options to help you with meal planning and prep!
 
I won't be able to do this alone.  The absolute best part of these at-home programs is that you will not be in this alone.  Yes, you may be in your house alone, but when you get a program, you not only get the workouts and nutrition guide, you also get access to a team of people who are working towards the same goals as you.  There is support, motivation, and accountability provided by people who are like-minded in health and fitness.  You also have a coach (ME!) who is there to provide you with whatever you need throughout the course of not only the program but your entire fitness journey!   

I love what these programs have done for me and that's why I am excited to share everything that I have learned and the success I have experienced with these programs with you!  If you have any questions, want more information, or if you are ready to start or continue your fitness journey, email me at FitTeachKate@gmail.com.  I look forward to working (out) with you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment