Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Quick and Easy Dinner: Turkey Sausage with Pasta and Broccoli

I had nothing to make for dinner the other night and was thinking about what was in my freezer.  I had some Italian turkey sausage which I hadn't cooked in quite a long while (I bought it from Publix and we have been removed from a location since we moved from Charleston over a year ago...) and decided to whip something up with that.  The result was a very quick, tasty, healthy meal.  My only regret is that I didn't get a picture of it before scarfing it down enjoying it.

Italian Turkey Sausage with Pasta and Broccoli
2 servings

Ingredients
1/2 lb. Italian turkey sausage links
1/2 c whole wheat pasta (I used orecchiette)
1 t olive oil
2 c broccoli florets 
1/4-1/2 c chicken or vegetable broth
1 garlic clove
salt and pepper
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1/2 c Parmesan cheese, divided

Spray a non-stick pan with cooking spray and cook the turkey until done.  I buy my turkey sausage links from Publix in the meat section.  Each link is a serving, so they are perfect.  You can probably find something similar at your grocery store.  Meanwhile, boil some water in a pot and add the pasta.  When cooked (about 10 minutes), drain and set aside.  Steam broccoli for about 5 minutes (it should still be green and crisp).  Remove the turkey sausage from the pan and slice.  Add 1 t of olive oil and garlic.  Cook garlic just a minute or two and then add turkey sausage, chicken broth, salt and pepper to taste, and red pepper flakes, also to taste.  Cook up just a few minutes to get the flavors together.  Add broccoli and pasta and top with 1/4 c of cheese.  Divide evenly between two plates and top each serving evenly with remaining cheese.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment